Many are aware that the word "superstition" is an inaccurate
belief, which give people false impression or illusion control over
certain weird or strange things that humans can never understand
but yet trying to obsessed things that aren't even known to be
Well, the Chinese family are particularly superstitious,
especially the old folks, and as long as there's one in your
house, you will tend to hear many superstitious stories from them.
For example : Your parents or grandparents will always ask
you to finish your bowl of rice or else your future husband or wife
will have "pimple face" or just be Fugly looking ones.
For dating couples, if you drop scissors, it means that your
lover is flirting behind your back, and being unfaithful to you.
And if you ever break a mirror, it means that you will have
7 years of bad luck.
Well, these are the most common superstitious beliefs
and stories which passed on from generation to generation,
and up to date there are still many believers who believe the
In the Chinese culture, some numbers are believed to be
auspicious or inauspicious.
Many Cantonese dislike the number 4, because it sounds very
similar to the word "die" in Cantonese. And many love the
number 8, because it pronounce as "Fai" in Cantonese, meaning
Till now, many people still attempt to obtain, or pay large amount
of money for numbers that considered as auspicious for their
phone numbers, driver's license number, vehicle license plate number,
The English people in western countries love the number 7,
because they believed the number 7 brings them luck.
As for me, I'd say 3 is a particular unlucky number for me,
because it always bring me bad luck whenever I bump into the
number. Be it a 3, 13, 33 or anything associated with the number 3,
it will sure hit me with rotten luck.
Also, I loathe the color Pink. Or maybe just put it this way,
the color Pink sure brings me bad omen, because whenever
I get attached to this color, something bad or misfortune
will sure falls for me! (This is not a joke!)
Lastly, based on my personal experiences and opinions,
earrings bring me "suay" too. And, I'd say it's brutally true
and accurate according to my personal encounters.
Well, there's more superstitious stuff you may wish to know,
if you are consider one of those believers out there!!!
Below are some of the Superstitious beliefs told by
the old folks which you may be unaware of, but well
it's entirely up to you to believe it or not :
Here it goes:
1) If a clock in your house has not been working for years, and
....it chimes, it means that there will be a death in the family.
2) It is unlucky to see your face in a mirror by candlelight, because
.....the next day your face will be full of pimples.
3) If you walk or drive passed a cemetery, you must hold
.....your breath or else you will breathe in the spirit of dead
.....who has recently passed away.
4) If you dream of someone's death, it's a sign of a new birth,
.....but if you dream of a new birth, it's a sign of the death.
5) If 3 people are photographed together, it was said that
.....the one in the middle will die first.
6) If you blow out all the candles on your birthday cake
.....with the first puff, your birthday wish will come true.
7) If you see 7 butterflies flying besides each other, it means
.....you will have good luck for the next 3 days.
8) A dog howling at night when someone in the house is sick
.....is a very bad omen.
9) If your right ear itches, someone is speaking well of you,
.....but if your left ear itches, someone is speaking ill of you.
10) On Chinese New Year, if you wear new clothing and the
.......color is red, it will brings you good luck throughout the year.
11) If you go fishing and you catch your 1st fish of the day,
......throw it back and you'll be lucky, but if you count the numbers
......of fish you caught, then you will catch no more that day.
12) If your right palm itches, it means you will soon be getting
.......lots of money, however if your left palm itches, it means you
.......will soon oweing lots of debts.
13) It's always good luck to find a four-leaf clover.
14) If a mirror in your house falls and breaks by itself, and you
.......are the only one saw it, it means you will have bad luck for the
.......next 6 months. And if nobody saw it, it means someone in the
.......house will die soon.
15) If a woman is buried in black dress with black lipstick,
.......she will soon return to haunt the family, and if her eyes are
.......left open, she will find someone to take her place.
16) If 13 people sit down at a table to eat, the 4th person will die
.......before the year is over.
17) If you see a a crow in your dream drinking milk, it means
.......disappointment in everything, grief and misfortune.
18) Seeing rainbow is consider a good sign.
19) If you saw a spider climbing the wall in your dream,
......you will have your greatest wish come true, and if you see
......a spider spinning a web, you will get promoted within a year
......for your hard work.
20) If you get out of your bed on the same side that you gets in,
.......you will have good luck throughout the day.
After reading it, I guessed many non religious believers
truly see the superstitious ones as ignorance, dumb,
and full of craps. But well, you can try to believe or ignore
it, the choice is always yours.
And out of the ordinary, I'm one of the many believers
who believe the superstitious . . .